Server Ban

Talk about whatever.
madmick

Server Ban

Post by madmick »

Oh dear my server bean-net has been banned from shoutcast directory after a look through shoutcast forums it seems there does not even have to be a reason.
I think its about time broadcasters set up their own directory,or at least list each other within our websites.
Anyone got any ideas.
I am listed on Audiorealm.com.
An old saying you should never keep all your eggs in one basket.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

The reason for the ban is one of their clients was distributing a Trojan or DoS attack using said server.

The client was taking advantage of the hTtP trick to do it as well. I am sure that once Nullsoft has had time to investigate the ban will be lifted.

The problem with just running a directory (as I had in the past) was that the owner of said directory is responsible for paying royalties. With broadcasters unwilling to pay for something they already get free, such ideas are extremely difficult to manage and fund.
- Jay
madmick

Post by madmick »

Thanks for the reply Jay,at least now I know.
Just to add,to ban a whole subnet is unfair,but then again its free listing,SHOUTcast with all their technology must know the offending client.The dilemma now is how long will the inquiry take?Maybe its time the servers set up their own directory listing. I know that Fast-serv has.Perhaps if they could see fit to get their heads together and make a combined directory it would save a few problems.
madmick

Post by madmick »

I meant to ask Jay would you mind if I gave a link directly to the to the radio listings directory from my site,if everyone put the link in we might see some positive results,any code you migh want to adhere to would of course be respected.
Just a thought.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

go for it link to whatever you like to :)
- Jay
webranger

Post by webranger »

Jay wrote: The problem with just running a directory (as I had in the past) was that the owner of said directory is responsible for paying royalties.
I'm curious, how does shoutcast get away with that?. We see some changes in the bittorrent arena with the MPAA lawsuits.

I am not sure what percentage of shoutcast stations pay their royalties, but I'm sure it's a low number.

What is the difference legally between a torrent site, which points to illegal files and shoutcast which points to illegal files?.

Kevin
[size=0]New! City of Roses Radio - Rock, Blues, Jazz More[/size]